Sunday 20 December 2015

Clouds

Lenticular Clouds

“This particular sunset lasted a good hour or more in late November in Boulder, Colorado. I was returning from a mountain biking trip and I saw the light begin to change slowly but in a special, almost strange kind of way and then I noticed the vast lenticular clouds that were beginning to catch on fire! I pulled off Route 93 and set up on the car hood (no tripod!) and then the light show began. The clouds were in place and then the light began to do its thing and changed from a yellow to slight orange then red then to purple as the sun set. But more than the colors, it was the clouds that were changing shape and the combination of changing light and ‘shape-shifter’ clouds created one of the most amazing light shows I have ever seen.  I shot like crazy and managed to have quite a few keepers and some I have sold as custom-made fine art prints. There is a reason NCAR is located in Boulder as supposedly there is no other place in the lower 48 states that has such variety of atmospheric conditions to study. I was lucky that day. I always have a camera handy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment